Carbon Transient is hunting for an knowledgeable interactive developer to increase our reporting by building bespoke and ground breaking web initiatives, as nicely as convey new and assorted know-how to our multimedia crew.
- Are you an knowledgeable world wide web developer with solid electronic structure skills?
- Can you analyse datasets and personalized-establish superior visualisations?
- Do you want to add to distinct and exact reporting of weather change?
Carbon Brief’s award-successful journalism is revered by experts, journalists, policymakers and campaigners all-around the planet. We produce interactives, infographics, maps, scrollytelling stories and other multimedia to assist us report and reveal the most up-to-date climate science and related plan issues. We are very pleased of the access and engagement we have with our audiences, who price our rigorous and authoritative brand of ‘explainer journalism’.
Reporting to our Senior Multimedia Producer, you’ll work closely with the rest of the Carbon Short workforce to recognize and create formidable net-based merchandise to accompany our reporting. As Carbon Brief’s affect in local climate journalism grows, we are searching for an individual with imaginative aptitude and advanced technical know-how to aid condition our coverage.
You are going to use your technical awareness to build on our knowledge visualisation libraries and other structure equipment to grow and refine our visual reporting. You will also have concepts on how to combine net systems to enable scale working day-to-day design and style processes, this kind of as cross-browser testing, error handling and supporting the growth of our internal style libraries.
With experience in world wide web improvement and design, you’ll be at ease conceptualising and coding facts-pushed visuals and tailor made UX interfaces. You are going to have an fantastic portfolio of function demonstrating your talent for telling visible stories.
- Analyse and visualise substantial datasets. This could include building interactive website pages, maps, website video games and animations, dashboards, and more.
- Aid the improvement and development of Carbon Brief’s visible tools and libraries.
- Get the job done carefully with the multimedia team, advising on the growth of assignments and techniques-sharing to construct in-property specialized capacity.
- Carry out design and style work in line with Carbon Brief’s brand name and design and style rules.
- Working experience with frameworks or libraries, this sort of as Respond, Svelte or comparable.
- Know-how of programming languages for data manipulation (R, Python, or equivalent).
- Practical experience doing the job with D3, SVG and Canvas.
- Sturdy visual layout skills, including creating for cross-platform technologies.
- Good knowing of accessibility standards and modern internet most effective methods.
- Familiarity with mapping software (QGIS, Mapbox, or related).
- Expertise of Illustrator, Figma, or identical.
- Practical experience or fascination in the environmental sector.
- Recognition of recent developments in website enhancement and electronic layout.
- Ability to work to the calls for of a newsroom-type ecosystem, including doing the job on both of those speedy convert-all-around and very long-phrase net-dependent assignments.
Area: Carbon Brief’s office environment is in central London. On the other hand, there is versatility inside of this function to be dependent remotely, depending on the effective candidate’s circumstances/place. You could be expected to undertake some journey as aspect of your operate.
Hours/Duration: This can possibly be a aspect-time or entire-time long lasting place (non-sponsored), relying on the profitable candidate’s working experience and availability.
Income: Competitive, with generous advantages. Wage will be reviewed with shortlisted applicants, because of to the risk of it becoming a part-time or total-time position.
How to apply
To use, remember to send:
- Your CV.
- A masking letter describing why you would be a superior in good shape for the position and the organisation, including documentation or back links to examples of world-wide-web-centered jobs that you have labored on.
To: [email protected]
Remember to condition “Interactive developer application – Carbon Brief” in the email subject.
Programs should be submitted by 9am (BST) on Monday 27 June 2022. Interviews will be held on Wednesday 6 and Thursday 7 July 2022.
About Carbon Temporary
Carbon Transient produces award-successful journalism covering the most up-to-date developments in weather science, local climate policy and strength coverage. We specialise in obvious, evidence-dependent articles or blog posts and facts visualisations to enable boost the knowledge of local climate transform, the two in conditions of the science and the policy response. We publish a vast range of content material, which includes explainers, interviews, analysis and factchecks, as perfectly as day by day and weekly e mail summaries of newspaper and on the internet coverage. Our viewers is worldwide and varied, but particularly serves policymakers, journalists, NGOs and academics. Carbon Temporary is committed to encouraging equality, variety and inclusion amid our workforce. Our purpose is to be genuinely representative of all sections of modern society and for just about every worker to sense highly regarded and capable to give their very best.